First edition of the only eyewitness account of Auschwitz written on site. From the lilbrary of a Holocaust survivor.
Psychiatrist Eddy de Wind was the last Jewish doctor to graduate from Leiden University. He was arrested during the infamous pogrom of 23 February 1941, but later released because he appeared to have tuberculosis. However, in order to prevent his mother's deportation, he voluntarily went to Westerbork and offered his services as a doctor in return.
In Westerbork he fell in love with Friedel Komornik, and they married in 1943, but shortly afterwards the newly married couple was deported to Auschwitz. There De Wind worked in the sick barracks while his wife was sent to the infamous "Block 10", where the Nazis carried out hoorific 'medical' experiments on women. Komornik survived not only Block 10, but also one of the death marches, and the couple was reunited after the war.
As a psychiatrist, De Wind treated many survivors of the Nazi death camps. He was the first to introduce the term "concentration syndrome", also known as "KZ-Syndrome". Despite his psychiatric knowledge and experience, De Wind could not escape the consequences of the Shoah and suffered from survivor's guilt and victim's envy.
Seventy-five years after the original edition, De Wind's memoir was translated into English by David Colmer under the title Last Stop Auschwitz.
This copy comes from the library of the Jewish entrepreneur Hugo Schloss (1879-1979) and bears his owner's stamp: "Hugo Schloss / Willem Kesstraat 7/ IV / Amsterdam-Zuid (9) /. Tel. 72 01 68". Until 1943 Schloss lived with his wife and two children at Vondelstraat 67 in Amsterdam.
In 1942 he was forced to sell his business to Kurt Stöckermann, and in 1943 the family had to go into hiding. Schloss survived the war, but when he returned to Vondelstraat after the war, he found the house empty. Apparently the family later moved to Willem Kesstraat 7/ IV, Amsterdam.
First edition of the only memoir written at Auschwitz
Eddy de Wind.
Amsterdam, Republiek der Letteren, Amsterdam, 1946.